Rico’s Get Better League 2011
I have known and utilize the advice of Rico Cabrera for a number of years. Rico and his “Get Better Foundation” have been instrumental in helping my son Bill prosper as a basketball player and as a student athlete. Rico has been a wonderful mentor and basketball coach for Bill. I have witness Rico’s diligent and unwavering desire to help young men reach their highest potential as a student, a basketball player and a responsible young man.
As a result of working with Rico, my son was able to received a college basketball scholarship to a D1 school and complete his 4 year college undergraduate degree, in Corporate Communications and a minor in Sociology, in 3 years. He is now in Grad school for his last year of college. At the end of the Fall semester of Grad school 2010, Bill posted a GPA of 4.0.
Created in the summer of 2008, Rico’s Get Better League was designed to serve as a high level summer college basketball league which featured over 100 NCAA collegiate student-athletes. After receiving 501(c)(3) tax-exemption status from the IRS in the winter of 2010, which specified that Rico’s Get Better Foundation utilize its public funds towards inner-city student-athletes under the age of 18, the focus of Rico’s Get Better League has shifted towards creating better opportunities, both on and off the court, for today’s high school and middle school inner-city student-athletes within the Greater Los Angeles Area.
On August 8th, 2011 Rico’s Get Better League resumed play at Lawndale High School. The league featured 40 of Southern California’s top high school student-athletes over the course of 10 games from August 8-12. Moreover, this allowed student-athletes representing schools such as Harvard-Westlake, Loyola, Fairfax, Milken, Mayfair, St. Monica’s, and Lawndale High School to be able to compete against and with one another in a highly competitive environment prior to the start of school.
In addition to offering a competitive playing experience, with the help of local and global partners, the league will also promote the importance of community service and giving back amongst the participating student-athletes. Thus, starting on August 8th, all participating student-athletes within Rico’s Get Better League will be asked to participate in a student-athlete led shoe drive to help local and global charities. In addition donating shoes, each student-athlete will also donate 5% of their league sign up fee to the Africa Rising Foundation to help the youth in South Africa.
Some of the Key features of the League include:
- Each student-athlete will be strategically placed on a team that will enhance his development. (Teams will not be finalized until Monday, August 8th)
- 10 games of high level high school simulated game competition (Each Student-Athlete will Play in 5 Games Guaranteed)
- 10 Full Length Game DVDs will be available for purchase for each student-athlete at the conclusion of the league
- 10 Games of Comprehensive Box Scores, Statistics, and Post Game Highlights
- 5 hours of Free Basketball Education & Life Skills Workshops
- 5 hours of Free Get Better Basketball Training to invited student-athletes
- 1 Hour of Free Get Better SAT Prep
- Plus each Participating Student-Athlete will have a chance to win a Free iPad 2, Beats by Dre Solo Headphones, and an Amazon Kindle based upon the total number of Get Better Rewards Points earned throughout the course of the league. (Points will be awarded based upon each student-athlete’s effort, participation, community service, and life skills development.)